Here we present a brief overview of some of the outputs of the Data versus Corona and Strategies versus Corona initiatives, which had their most intensive phase from April 2020 to August 2021. These initiatives led to scientific grants and collaborations with governmental agencies. For example, we assisted with the design, execution, and analysis of research issued by the government to assess ways to increase testing uptake.
- Dablander, F.⭑, Blanken, T. F.⭑, Tanis, C. C.⭑, Breed, R., Coffeng, L. E., Cromelin, D., Edeling, W., Gautier, P., de Graaf, B., Gugole, F., van Harreveld, F., Jager, D., Jensen, L., Knoeff, R., van der Linde, M., Sanderse, B., de Ruijter, A., de Vlas, S., Santing, C., Zwart, B., The Science versus Corona Collective, Heesterbeek, H., Borsboom, D. (under review). A multidisciplinary perspective on COVID-19 exit strategies.
This article summarizes the structure, process, outputs, and learning from the Science versus Corona initiative.
- Blanken, T. F., Tanis, C. C., Nauta, F. H., Dablander, F., Zijlstra, B. J., Bouten, R. R., … & Borsboom, D. (2021). Promoting physical distancing during COVID-19: a systematic approach to compare behavioral interventions. Scientific Reports, 11(1), 1-8.
This article describes the outputs of the large-scale behavioural quasi-experiment to assess ways to promote physical distancing that was conducted during an art fair in August 2020.
- Tanis, C. C., Leach, N. M., Geiger, S. J., Nauta, F. H., Dablander, F., van Harreveld, F., … & Blanken, T. F. (2021). Smart Distance Lab’s art fair, experimental data on social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic. Scientific Data, 8(1), 1-9.
This article describes the data, which are publicly available, of the large-scale behavioural quasi-experiment conducted in August of 2020.
- Tanis, C., Nauta, F., Boersma, M., van der Steenhoven, M., Borsboom, D., & Blanken, T.F. (under review). Practical behavioural solutions to COVID-19: Changing the role of behavioural science in crises.
This article describes the outputs of a quasi-experiment on promoting physical distancing in a supermarket conducted in March 2021.
- Dablander, F., Heesterbeek, H., Borsboom, D., & Drake, J. M. (2022). Overlapping Time Scales Obscure Early Warning Signals for the Second COVID-19 Wave. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 289(1968), 20211809
This article assesses whether early warning indicators derived from dynamical systems theory could have helped us anticipate the second COVID-19 wave in European countries.
- Borsboom, D., Blanken, T.F., Dablander, F., Tanis, C. C., van Harreveld, F., & van Mieghem, P. (in press). The lighting of the BECONs: A behavioral data science approach to tracking interventions in COVID-19 research. Journal of Behavioral Data Science.
This article proposes the use of contact network measurements to assess the effects of behavioural interventions.
- Dekker, M. M., Blanken, T. F., Dablander, F., Ou, J., Borsboom, D., & Panja, D. (2022). Quantifying agent impacts on contact sequences in social interactions. Scientific reports, 12(1), 1-12.
This article proposes a novel measure to quantify the importance of agents in a spreading process on temporal networks.
Data projects, blog posts, web apps
- Data versus Corona has coordinated and facilitated 13 projects. Research articles grew out of several of these projects
- We have written 20 blog posts. These are available at https://scienceversuscorona.com/blog/.
We have created three interactive web apps. These are now discontinued, but all the code is available on Github:
- Dablander, F., & Coffeng, L. E. (2020). Interactive exploration of COVID-19 exit strategies. Available from https://github.com/fdabl/Covid-Exit.
- Dablander, F., Rusu, A., Schreiner, M., & Tomasevic, A. (2020). Visualizing the COVID-19 pandemic. Available from https://github.com/fdabl/Covid-Overview.
- Dablander, F., Brunner, & van Wees, J. D. (2020). Interactive exploration of COVID-19 forecasts. Available from https://github.com/fdabl/Covid-Forecast.
- Launching Data versus Corona (March, 2020)
- Launching Exit Strategy Challenge (April, 2020)
- Large-scale art fair experiment (August, 2020)
- Result of large-scale art fair experiment (October, 2020)
- Gedragswetenschap pandemiebeleid (FTM, November 2020)
- Project exit lockdown (De Psycholoog, June 2020)
- ‘Zorg dat coronaregels duidelijker en simpel te volgen zijn’ (Parool, June 2020)
- Oproep wetenschappers creeer nationaal platform coronaonderzoek (NRC, April 2020)
- Radicale openheid bij ontwikkeling exitstrategie corona (ScienceGuide, April 2020)
- Science versus Corona – An Interview (SIOS, April 2020)